Monday, June 9, 2014

Birthday blues

So Friday was my birthday.  I love my birthday.  I imagine it's because I love people saying things to me and looking at me and people look at you a lot and say a lot of things to you on your birthday.

I also love parties.  Being married to an introvert, I have cut back on my party throwing. But on my birthday, I figure, I can have a party if I want!  (Tad says I can have a party if I want anytime I want and that it doesn't have to be my birthday.  Which I should probably listen to because parties make me really happy).

I used to throw parties all the time but I'm a little out of practice right now.  So first I sent the email and forgot to say "Don't bring gifts!" But I didn't want to send another email separately, specifically telling people not to bring gifts. I mean, that would be weird.   Anyway, I like gifts! I mean people bring gifts who want to bring gifts even when you tell them not to. 

Then I was trying to keep it semi-small.  (Why I was doing this, I'm not sure. I mean I could say I was keeping Tad in mind and didn't want to overload our house full of people, lest that would be too stressful. Or that I was keeping Coen in mind because he was having some anxiety over the number of children coming.  I guess it was both...who knows.)  So then I started to stress because there were people I didn't invite..not because I didn't want them to come but I felt like I could go crazy inviting people! So I tried to invite only people that I hang out with on a regular basis.  But then I couldn't stop thinking about the rest of the people who I like and would have liked to invite and had to just tell myself to be quiet.

Then the cake. I ordered my own cake. I mostly do every year because I just really like cake and I want it to be the right cake.  Lucy made me a cake a week ahead of time on the playground at school and it looked like this:



So I thought I didn't want to call and ask them to write "Happy Birthday ALIE!" on it because then when I placed the order they would say "And what's your name" and I would have to say "Alie" all sheepishly since I was the one ordering the cake.  So I just asked them to put yellow flowers on it like the cake Lucy made me.

I picked it up on Saturday morning and upon having it brought to the counter, I saw that it was fricking enormous!  WAY bigger than I imagined and WAY more expensive too (I didn't ask ahead of time what the price was and had I done so, would have realized that it was going to be WAY more cake than I needed). The woman showed it to me and said sweetly, "Somebody's birthday?" And I just smiled and said "Yup." without elaborating. 

On the way out of the store I walked with my big enormous cake down the sidewalk and suddenly I stumbled, tripped and nearly fell right down on the ground. I had to grab the cake box tightly to keep it from falling and in doing so, smashed on side of the cake.

Of course.

I laughed all the way home. Because of course.  Of course I would order my own birthday cake.  And accidentally order a huge one. And then nearly fall down carrying it out of the shop.

That is exactly the right thing to happen to me.

And of course I would still be stressing two days later about the people I like very much and didn't invite and wanting to send them all singing telegrams about how much I like them and hope I didn't hurt anyone's feelings.  If you're one of those people and you're reading this, rest assured, you'll be coming to my fortieth next year.

Man, birthdays are stressful.

But fun too.


No comments:

Post a Comment