Friday, May 2, 2014

My heart skipped a beat

Since my last post about journal entries on the last day of April I felt like sharing this story.

It's funny because I just mentioned this story the other night when I was out for dinner with Tad's parents and the kids and Lucy and Coen were checking their heart rates using an application on their grandfather's phone.  And then I was going through journals and found it right there in my own handwriting!

I was sent home a couple months early from the Peace Corps because of the tumor in my ear that made me lose my hearing.  After my surgery to remove the tumor and all the healing, etc.. I had to have a full physical before I was released to go home once and for all.

I went to that physical on May 2nd of 2002, all jacked up and excited.  I had to pee very badly before I even left for the physical but decided not to since I knew they'd make me pee in a cup and I didn't want to waste it.  I arrived feeling extremely healed, happy, in an on top of the world-ish sort of way and also really really having to urinate.
When the nurse finally called me in she told me they were going to take some blood and then do a urine sample.
In my agitated state, I jumped up and said, rather loudly "Can we do the urine first!?!"
She laughed at me and I went to pee in the cup.
Afterwards, I shot out of the bathroom feeling quite relieved and walked fast right by the door of the examination room. I heard the nurse laugh and she called down the hall, "Where are you going?"
I laughed too and went back to the room to sit in the chair that was sort of high up and I found my feet were dangling so I swung them back and forth.  The nurse looked at me.
"Are you okay?  All I saw was a red blur go past and now look at you!"
"I just really had to GO!" I said.
After the blood and the pee I went into the other room and a doctor came in.  He was listening to my heartbeat and as he did I looked out the window and thought about how I was going to go home and see Tad for the first time in many week and really BE with him. Joy sort of surfaced in my chest and suddenly the doctor said, "Did you feel that?"
"Your heart just skipped three beats!"
And I was like---"Well...No!  I mean, yes. It's just that I was just thinking..."
He started to rise, talking about getting an EKG ready and then I said sort of loudly, "No! No! I'm fine. I was just thinking!"
I didn't really want to tell him I was thinking about my boyfriend.  But in the end I convinced him I was just fine and he listened again while I tried not to think about Tad and make it happen again.

Anyway, I was deemed healthy and let go.  I got to go home and see Tad one week from that physical.  It's a funny thing, love.

Tad and me...brand new

No comments:

Post a Comment