Friday, May 9, 2014

Remembering Harald

Harald died two years ago today.



I miss him still very much.

Tonight is one of those nights that, were he alive, I would call him and he would tell me exactly what I need to hear.

I was looking through his letters tonight and found the very last one he ever wrote me. Strangely enough...on May 9th of 2011.  It was all about the house he was building and chopping down a tree and squirels and birds building love-nests all around his house in the woods.

His last paragraph:

Headers and trees! What a silly letter. I hope you don't mind my obsessing about my house but it is THE big thing in my life, and frankly writing about it is easier on you than if I had just fallen in love and went on and on about her!  Alie. I'll be seeing you in November.  Sorry it can't be any earlier, but that's life. Be well, be happy and love lots. Harald.

I didn't see him in November because the month or so after that letter, he started having symptoms of his brain tumor.  I was lucky enough to see him and laugh with him two more times after that.

I love you Harald Knudsen.



2 comments:

  1. Alie, I learned about Harald from this post. I hadn't talked to him in many years but he sent me a very nice email when I was grieving more than 10 years ago now. I also always had the thought that as I live in Ottawa he was my closest Baltics RPCV. He certainly will be missed.

    It was nice to discover and poke around your blog a little bit and hear about your life.

    All the best

    Jude

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jude! I really appreciate it. Yep, Harald was pretty amazing.. I miss him a ton.

      Delete