Friday, September 13, 2013

Lineage

It's funny how you'll find yourself doing something just like your mom.  You know? And you're just struck by it.  What?! I sound like my mom. How did this happen?

My mom and I had a bet when I was a kid.  I didn't like it when she said "Because I said so" in response to "WHY?!"
"I'll NEVER say that to my kids." I said to her.
"Oh. Yes you will."
"I won't!"
So we bet a dinner on it, I believe. 

Fast forward to me as a mom.  In fact, just the other night Coen was asking me if he could have tea in bed.
"NO!" I said.
"Please?????"
"Absolutely not!  We don't eat or drink upstairs and it's late and it's a school night. No."
"Daddy let me once. Please?"
"NO."
"Why."
"Oh, Coen! Because I said so!"

And that's not the first time I said it.  Nope.  I think I still owe my mom that dinner.

But there's other stuff too.  The way I wake my kids up in the morning is exactly how my mom woke me up. I turn their lights on. I sit on the edge of the bed and rub their foreheads and say "good morning..it's time to wake up." That is exactly how my mom did it. And I didn't do it consciously either.  I just realized one morning that it was the same.

I notice it with my own kids too, already.  Lucy makes the exact same faces as I do.  The other night when I was shaking my butt at myself in the mirror and making a face, (Yeah, I do that. Don't judge me.)  Tad walked in and shook his head. "That is exactly what I found Lucy in here doing like two hours ago."

Coen requests time alone, or time for introspection, same as his daddy.

Here's another example of some commonalities among parent and child.  Happy Friday.

My dad and his sand man.

Me and mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment