Thursday, February 28, 2013

Being seen.

You know, I really like people who make you feel like they see you.

Do you know what I mean?

People who make you feel seen are the people you feel connected to, I suppose.

I have this teacher. And I have been having trouble in her class and couldn't place why. I think she's a good teacher and I know that people respect her. But in her class I don't get a good feeling. And sometimes I leave feeling worse than when I came in. Feeling frustrated. Feeling invisible. One day we had a substitute and it was the best class I'd ever experienced. Someone in the hallway remarked something similar so then I knew I wasn't alone. But I still couldn't figure out what it was.

Then today, I decided to reach out and complement her on the class. I did feel really good afterwards and it was just what I needed. When I went up to tell her that, she walked right past me. She looked right through me and started talking to another student. And when I waited, I saw that she was going to continue on her way. I finally got right in front of her and made eye contact so she would have to stop and talk to me.

"Great class today." I said. "I had a really rough morning and this was just what I needed."
"Oh I'm glad!" she said brightly. And then rushed right past me. To talk to someone else.

I headed out and thought that's it! She doesn't see me. I feel invisible in her class and that makes me feel disconnected from it.

It makes me want to work harder to make sure in the classes that I teach and the programs that I run, that I make a point to see everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment