Monday, April 15, 2013

Sleep. And the importance thereof...


There was a time when I didn't even really think about sleep. I even tried to avoid it in the name of fun. 

I shunned naps as a kid...I even remember when our mom's cousin (affectionately known to Beth and I as Weegie) babysat for us. She'd tell me that if Beth fell asleep during nap before me, I could get back up. So I'd say, "Elizabeth. Let's play a game. Let's face our backs to each other and then who ever is quiet the longest, WINS!" Inevitably, she'd fall asleep and I'd sneak back out of the room.

In high school I stayed up as late as my parents would let me and, in the morning, after my dad would flick my lights on and off a few times, shouting "It's UPPIE time! UPPIE time children!" I'd be up and at them.

In college, I occasionally stayed up until 3, 4,5 in the morning and got back up at 6 or 7 a.m. to go to class or go to work.  I remember Tad and I on our duplex porch, talking until four a.m. and getting back up at 7:00 to go be  a substitute teacher for MPS.  Sometimes I'd come home and fall asleep on the couch, but as soon as Beth was home from work, I'd pop back up. What, me? Napping? No WAY!

But then I had kids. And now sleep is a major daily life concern.  Will I get enough sleep? Will they get enough sleep?  How important sleep has become!  This weekend Coen had back to back sleepovers and I stressed for days ahead of time about his lack of sleep.  To what end? No end of course! He spent a very tired Sunday but was no worse for the wear.  Tad and I went out on Saturday night and were having a wonderful time. But just before our midnight departure, I remember looking at the clock and thinking We better get going so we can get some sleep!  And then it hit me...here I am on a date night and worried about sleeping.  Since when has sleep been as high in the ranks as fun?! 

Well, I guess the answer to that is: Since I have had two people in my life who's needs must be met, questions must be answered and bodies must be tucked back into bed on THEIR time, not mine.  Oh well. So now I like sleep.  So what!  I better get going.  I might have to go take a nap.

Just kidding. I still don't take naps, unless one strikes me unawares!



No comments:

Post a Comment