Thursday, August 8, 2013

Car-ma

Okay, so show of hands.  How many of you have broken your husband's favorite coffee pot and crashed his car in one day? 

Oh, just one?  Okay people, move over, let's see who's raising that hand.

Oh.

It's Alie.

That figures.

Some of you readers may have been given the tour around my car.  My car with the missing side mirror (from hurrying out of the garage to show the kids the street sweeper) and the dent in the front hood (from when I rear ended that pick up truck at a stop light--I  could have SWORN I was stopped) and the scrapes all along the side from some more garage pulling in problems.  I'm not the most attentive of drivers.  I admit it. 

I'm not the most attentive of much.  Which is how I get things done so fast.  But jeez.

So yeah, today I was trying to fix the off-kilter coffee pot handle and somehow broke a part of the glass pot in my hand, slicing two of my fingers in the process.  The children came running into the kitchen to see the blood. It was very exciting. 

Later in the day we were driving in bumper to bumper traffic on the highway.  And I stopped and all our library books fell off the seat.  I looked down to make sure none had fallen under the brake pedal and looked up. WHOAH. People were stopping fast. And I did not stop fast enough. I banged into the car in front of me.  With Tad's minivan. 

We pulled over and exchanged information and she called me tonight to say that she will be getting a quote on Monday to get it fixed.  So I made a couple very expensive mistakes today.  I guess I was hoping she wouldn't care about a little bump on her bumper.  I looked at it. It didn't look like that big of a deal to me.  But of course I'm the girl with the crash test Toyota.  *Sigh*  And you know, I have been rear ended TWICE and both times told the people, no big deal, it's just a car! And then sent them on their merry way. 

Part of the thing about me (when other people wreck my stuff) is that I just don't put much value in STUFF.  I mean, it's just a car.  It's what I get around in--who cares what it looks like.  I mean, I take care of the INSIDE of my car!  I make sure to get oil changes and tune-ups and make sure it lasts as long as possible.  I don't usually care when things break.  If someone spills something on my rug. Whatever! People spill! Things break!  And maybe it was irresponsible to let those people go who crashed into me.  I could have fixed my car and been able to get a better value in the blue book buy back (is that what people say?)

I guess I was hoping for some good car-karma.  Probably I just need to watch where I'm going.

1 comment:

  1. I used to be really uptight about my vehicle, especially my very first financed car. The first winter I had it I would stand in my apartment fuming mad at the guy who cleared snow with a shovel (the whole parking lot by shovel), that he'd occasionally lean his shovel on my car. Fast forward 5 years, since that car I've crashed and written off two vehicles, and sold one... I'm now on my 5th or 6th vehicle and now I think "meh, it's just a car"... bumps, dings, scrapes... it's just a car! I'm glad I'm finally at this mindset - it's way less stressful!

    ReplyDelete