Monday, August 19, 2013

Working on my introvert care skills


This weekend has been a flurry of activity.  Thursday Tad had a Brewer game with friends and I took the kids to work with me. Friday we went to the beach with some friends and my parents and then had a dinner party that night.  Saturday was our annual 55th Street Block Party which was a rousing 12 hour day of fun in the street.  Sunday my sister and her husband took our kids so Tad and I could go on a Brewer game date day!

All of that for me equals happiness, energy and excitement.
And while Tad enjoyed each one of those activities, all of it for him equals a substantial drain on his energy.

So we went to the Brewer game for our date day and found ourselves having trouble connecting.  And of course we're nearly at the full moon so while my body language is screaming "DON'T TOUCH ME!!!", My brain is saying, "Please give me a hug!"  And Tad, because he's recharging from an extremely social weekend seems to be putting off the "I don't really like you" vibe while in his head, he's feeling like I find him tiresome and boring.  Juxtaposition CITY! 

Anyway, after having a weird argument in line for ice cream, simply because I didn't like the way he phrased something and told him loudly that he was getting his period too.... 
We talked about the way our bodies were saying something different than our heads were. 
"I'm just recharging from yesterday, you know?" Tad said, putting his arm around me. "It was fun but it took a lot out of me."
"I know." I said, putting my head on his shoulder. "And yesterday just gave me more energy for MORE things!" 
Tad laughed. "You're like a coke addict."

We watched the rest of the game and walked home.

I know Tad and I get our energy in very different ways. And sometimes it is hard to understand each other.  But we are trying.  Man, are we trying...and I think that's what's most important.

No comments:

Post a Comment