Monday, March 18, 2013

And also a more patient patient

Tad and I had a big date planned for Saturday night so I was not at all surprised and a little dismayed when Coen plopped down on the couch next to me on Saturday morning and said, "My tummy feels a little weird."

After Lucy's bout with a stomach bug, I had been worrying about one of us getting sick in time for date night, but I hadn't thought it would be Coen!

I remember when I was in my twenties and every night was just another night out. Every concert was just another concert. Every party or planned activity was just one of many.  So missing one here and there was not so horrible.

Nowadays the nights out, the parties and most especially time alone with my partner is fewer and farther between, making each one seem like a BIG EVENT.  This night's BIG EVENT was a concert and hotel stay, so it was not only a BIG EVENT but also an expensive event.  And I felt like I would be crushed under the disappointment of cancelling this night.

I called my parents, who were slated to have the kids overnight and told them what was happening.  "They are staying here no matter what" my mom said. "We can handle a sick kid!" 

Too true.

And handle they did.  Coen, after throwing up for the third time, while my mom was getting him settled back on the couch again, put his hand on her face and said, "You're such a good Baba."

He was happy to be cuddled and coddled and and unlike his little sister, he soaked in the sympathetic looks.  I was feeling guilty for leaving him with the stomach flu but he didn't seem upset about it.  "Baba and Papa can handle me when I'm sick." He said as I stroked his hot little face.

So they did.

And Tad and I had a lovely long drive, a wonderful sushi dinner, a delicious ice cream dessert and a fantastic They Might Be Giants concert.  Not to mention a night in a hotel.  

And when we came home, Coen was no worse for the wear.  He cuddled up on the couch for the rest of the day and I took him to bed and read him to sleep at 6:00 in the evening.  After a nice, long day home with his Daddy (who also got sick yesterday), he''s heading back to school tomorrow.

My favorite band of all time rocking out at the Vic in Chicago

No comments:

Post a Comment