Friday, March 22, 2013

We belong

There is nothing like the feeling that you belong. 

Standing in the foyer of my childrens' school this morning, drinking coffee, talking to other parents and laughing about our children's melt-downs and funny questions and wonderful quirks....  I got that warm feeling of belonging. 

I remember as a middle schooler as my friends began joining different groups, the beginnings of the social stratosphere of high school just being created...standing outside of a circle of girls, wondering how I could just get in the circle...feeling like I didn't belong. 

And then I grew up and grew into my own weirdness, my own particular psyche and realized that it didn't matter...those circles I couldn't find a way into were never mine to begin with.... 

And I went to college and advertised my weirdness in my clothes, my demeanor, the way I talked, the way I walked and I found friend and places to belong. 

I have this wonderful memory of a weekend night during college, over at my friends' apartment.  There were about six of us there singing Pat Benetar's We Belong at the TOP of our lungs, just enjoying the sheer joy of the music and each other's company. And the police came because a neighbor had complained about our noise level.  He heard us singing from the street and came to the door, smile on his face.
"I'm not going to ticket you ladies." He said. "But don't quit your day jobs."
We laughed when he left and turned the music down. 
But it didn't matter.  We did belong.

And so back to this morning, standing in the foyer.  Knowing that my children BELONG there. And that I BELONG there.  And seeing Tad come down the hallway, returning the breakfast cart and stopping to give me a hug...he BELONGS there too. 

It really is a nice feeling.  Happy Friday. Here's a link to the song, if you're so inclined.

We belong to the light, we belong to the thunder
We belong to the sound of the words we've both fallen under
Whatever we deny or embrace for worse or for better
We belong, we belong, we belong together
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment