Tuesday, January 31, 2012

My morning challenge

See these little maniacs?  My children. I love them. I love looking at their faces.  I love the way they smell. I love listening to them eat. I love when they slip their little hands into mine. I love hearing their voices talking in the night, to each other, thinking we don't hear them.... 

But I'll tell you what I don't love.  I don't love the way they get ready to leave the house in the morning.  I don't love sitting with them at the table, when my breakfast could have been eaten three times over and they are still sitting there with half-full plates. Coen, with a spoonful of cereal in midair, will remember something else he wanted to say about his dream and put the bite back in the bowl.


Am I hanging on his words, wondering what dreams fill my beloved child's subconscious?


Hell no. I'm thinking, just take a bite already!  EAT!!!  We have to GO soon!!
And when they are pulling on their snow pants, boots, coats, hats, scarves, mittens, and hats... I don't love that.  When Lucy, in all silliness and fun, wants to put her legs through her arm holes and she walks around like a penguin and giggles...  Do I look at her with love and adoration, thinking about how funny she is? I absolutely do not. I am looking at her with annoyance, saying "Lucy...put your coat on right.  We have to go."

Coen and Lucy, taking for-ev-er to get ready to go? Yeah, I don't love that. At all.

But, it seems that to laugh about Lucy's coat antics and listen to Coen's fifth and sixth incantation of his dream last night... Those things usually don't really take all that long to just enjoy before we get going.

So, since you, my dear readers are reading this as I am blogging this, I hereby promise to try on Wednesday morning (tomorrow) when I take the kids to school, to take deep breaths, to get us moving twenty minutes before we really have to leave, and to try and enjoy them, EVEN in the morning.  Since I have heretofore promised such a thing in front of how ever many of you happen to click on my blog post today, I shall be held accountable. And Wednesday's blog will be the account of the morning and how it went when I just settled the eff down and tried to be cheerful.  About getting out the door.


WISH ME LUCK!!!!




See how I did here.

No comments:

Post a Comment