Wednesday, January 4, 2012

What a Wonderful Winter Week

The week after Christmas was jam-packed with fun activities and outings for my family. Now that I'm back at work, I feel it's time to reminisce.  I missed my kids yesterday after being with them for 12 straight days.  I guess even Lucy had a tough time.  She cried in the late morning saying, "I want my mommy." Luckily, her Daddy works at her school and her teacher brought her to his classroom for a quick hug. It doesn't get much better than that.  Anyway, our week:

Monday:  Play date at the neighbors. The big boys played football outside and the little boys (and girl--mine) colored and ate snacks inside.  Funny thing that happened?  I was just talking to Tad about how our boy is so sensitive we aren't sure if he could even handle a brother.  During the football game, he made his friend's lip bleed accidentally when he tackled him.  My sweet Coen cried and cried because of how bad he felt.  Yep...he's better off with a sister.
Tuesday: We dropped our kids off at our friend Natalie's and she watched them for three and a half hours while Tad and I went shopping at my favorite re-sale shop: Re-Threads, ate an Indian lunch buffet at Majaraja, and went for a brisk walk to Alterra for some afternoon coffee.  Then we picked up the kids and took them to Best Buy.  Funny thing that happened? My children don't play video games on a computer or a TV, let alone a system.  Watching them play Wii was hilarious.  They were waving the controller around and jumping excitedly.  It was just the preview screen that they though they were controlling.
Wednesday: We went to the Milwaukee Public Museum with Tad's good friend Erik and his niece Ellen and daughter Natalie.  Funny thing that happened?  All of us observed three beetles in a pile-up.  Of course Tad, Erik, Ellen and I knew what they were really doing but the children were making unbeknownst-to-them-inappropriate commentary that was very entertaining. Then Tad did some voice over for the actions in his best Ringo Starr impression.

Thursday: I went out to Sussex to an indoor playground called Flabbergast.  I met a friend of mine who I have known since I was five years old.  She and I bonded on the teeter totter on the kindergarten playground and have been friends ever since. Our kids played on the bounce house equipment and had a wonderful time while we caught up.  It was so great to see her. We haven't seen each other in a couple years but we could easily pick up immediately where we left off like no time had passed at all.
Then in the afternoon, Natalie dropped her kids off and we returned the favor so she and her husband could go out for an afternoon lunch date.  Funny thing that happened? Lucy and Siri set up their dinner table under the mistletoe and spent much of dinner making kissy faces at everyone in between bites of noodles.

Friday: We had a playdate at our house with the neighbors.  That was also gingerbread house day and Tecmo Bowl night.  I gave Coen my old discman and he was up until past 10:00 p.m. listening to the Beatles. Funny thing that happened?  In the afternoon, Coen brought out my guitar and played interpretive music while Lucy acted it out.  He played scary music and she hid under the cushions, sad music and she pretended to cry, fast music and she ran around the house.  It was good fun. The whole week was good fun.  I hope yours was too.

No comments:

Post a Comment