Monday, May 21, 2012

May 21st eight years ago...

This morning, I woke up and Tad grabbed me as I passed him going to the shower and hugged me.  He said "So, it's been eight years of this marriage business, huh?"  And I thought how lucky I am to be with someone who always says something entirely unconventional and new.  It makes me always interested in what's going to happen next.
And then at breakfast, he unrelentingly made fun of me for eating my baked oatmeal, which involves a couple eggs, and milk and sugar and vanilla in addition to the oatmeal... when I sat down to eat, he had the kids breaking into this song he made up. The lyrics were something like:
Oh if you live in the country and you like to chase cows and ride horses every day
It's country oatmeal
If you just can't get enough eggs
Both kids sang it with him and then as they finished, Lucy said, "Why?" not really understanding the point of the song.  But I understood.  I understood that I married someone who teases me as often as he kisses me.  Which is exactly what I need.

Our wedding day itself was new and unconventional.  We got married barefoot in the back of South Shore Park Pavilion.  In the middle of the ceremony, the sky grew black and Lake Michigan looked like it was about to be overtaken by the storm of the century.  As the rain started, the whole wedding party rushed for the pavilion. As Tad and I ran with the crowd, people yelled "Congratulations!" to us as we passed.  We responded laughing, "We're not married yet!" and finished the ceremony indoors while rain and hail whipped at the windows.  We half-danced, half-marched around the room to "Do you Realize" by the Flaming Lips once our marriage was official.  Nine month old Coen was there in his little maroon baby tuxedo.  Tad and I danced with him to "Memo to my Son" by Randy Newman.  Our first dance was "Sharp Cutting Wings (Song to a Poet)" by Lucinda Williams.  (And now we have our own little Lucinda.)

That was eight years ago today.


This is my absolute favorite picture of our wedding day. We're heading inside as the storm approaches.



No comments:

Post a Comment