Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Whew. And celebratory sugary frozen beverages.

This weekend was the culmination of a B-I-G two years.

I began blogging last year when Tad quit his job and went full-time back to school to get his Montessori certification.  This year was his first year of teaching at Highland Community School. This weekend he took his last two oral exams and PASSED.  He is now an officially certified Montessori teacher. 

Triumphantly returned Tad with his children

It has been a stressful time, with the single income of last year and the waiting for him to take his exams this spring.  Over the weekend, Tad checked into a hotel with his Montessori materials, study aides and did not come up for air until it was time to take his exam at 9:00 on Sunday morning.  While we waited for him to call us, Coen and Lucy and I made a banner and decorated the house.  My stomach was so full of nerves as we went to the grocery store to buy him a cake and a bouquet that I let the children each pick out a pack of any kind of gum they wanted.  Chiclets for Lucy and Bubble tape for Coen. 

At home again, we listened to "All You Need Is Love" radio on Pandora; Coen and Lucy played together with Legos; and I tried to breathe deeply and stop willing my phone to ring.  I walked into the kitchen and rinsed the breakfast dishes.  Without trying to, I pictured Tad coming out of the garage, his fist in the air in celebration.  I smiled. I just knew he'd done well.  Suddenly, I heard the click of the back door and I looked expectantly towards it. Tad came in the house, sunglasses on, like a soldier returning from his own kind of battle and held his fist in the air. I screamed and threw my arms around him.  All the work and all the stress and all the worry and the past year and everything, all at its successful conclusion.  We went out for dinner at TGI Fridays at Miller Park to celebrate.  We all raised our glasses of strawberry lemonade slushee in a toast.  "To Daddy!" I said.  "To Tad!" Coen and Lucy said.

Coen and Lucy and their Lemon/Lime shaved ice

Monday was a beautiful day.  We packed a picnic and went over to South Shore park with some friends.  We ate lunch and talked and watched the kids at the park.  We all went down to the beach and played in the sand and waded in the water.  And then sat in the shade of the concessions stand and got treats all around. 

The day ended with Tad's parents, burgers, fries and a viewing of the Beatles' Hard Days Night.
After the children were tucked into bed, Tad and I cuddled up on the couch and watched baseball, talking about how nice it is for him to be finished and how summer is coming.

It's going to be a good one.






No comments:

Post a Comment