Monday, September 12, 2011

Delusions. I mean... Affirmations.


So, I have recognized recently, that one of my biggest faults...and strengths is my energy.  I know that those who have lived with me have said that they felt like they were living with a tornado.  I move fast, I talk fast, I work fast...I do everything fast.  This leads to great efficiency at work, however, its not so great when it comes to connecting with people I love...which is number one on my list of important things to do.

I tried meditation, but whoah, am I bad at it.  So I got myself a CD of meditations that I can listen to and be guided through.  I do one every night.  I think its helping me not be so frenzied...  and slow down and just BE in each moment that I'm in.

One of these meditations is Affirmations.  You quietly relax your body and repeat after the guy on the CD.  The hardest one for me to say and then connect with my heart is "I have done everything I can do for today."  I NEVER feel that way.  And I made up my own affirmations too...

I am a calm and peaceful person
I am a gentle and patient mother

Now those are hard.  I am a peaceful person but not calm....I am a gentle and patient mother a lot of the time, but certainly not all of the time.  Well, patience is definitely not my strong suit.

So anyway, we were out shopping at Lowes with our two kids (not on the top of my list of fun things to do) and we had to put them in desperate carts so they wouldn't touch each other and then they were fighting immediately upon being in the car again and I was getting really frustrated.

So I took a deep breath...and said aloud, "I love shopping with my children.  This is an enjoyable and relaxing activity. I'm having a nice day with my family."

Tad looked at me. "What are you doing?"

"Affirmations!" I said brightly.

"Don't you mean delusions?" Tad said with a smirk.

Yeah, they were delusions...but I am finding that if I repeat something aloud, I believe it...or it becomes closer to the truth anyway.  And its so better than repeating, "I hate this. My kids are annoying me. etc..." Which is what ends up happening.

So we had a good laugh about my affirmations and it DID change the mood in the car.  It works!

No comments:

Post a Comment