Friday, September 28, 2012

Holding pattern

 


I feel as though I am in a holding pattern.

I'm the only one in my family who did not have to go back to school/work. I worked all summer.  And now my whole family is adjusting to being back to school/work.  I am waiting for them to give me the signal that I can come in for a landing upon back to normal.  Lucy spends all day being quiet and complacent and comes home and is anything but.  I know it's a lot to get used to for her.  I'm trying to be patient.  Coen is back to worrying about whether he'll get his work done so he can earn his "Friday Free Time"  In a sad twist of irony, he finished his work this week only to find out from me that I'm picking him up early for his nine-year-old check up and he'll miss Friday free time anyway. Oh the tears. The kids aren't the only ones back to school. Tad's adjusting as well.

At work, I'm heavily involved in placing students in job shadow experiences for Disability Mentoring Day. But now I have calls in to dozens of places and many tentative matches and matches waiting on times or contacts or confirmation. So I'm just sitting at my desk, staring at my email, waiting for someone to call or message me.  Occasionally I walk down the copy room to see if there's a fax.

And it's autumnal outside.  Which means it will get cold and I'll have to deal with coats and footwear in the morning in addition to dealing with morning itself.  I usually get migraines in the fall too, so I'm even waiting for those.

I know that once we all get into the swing, things will be just fine. Even when snow pants get involved.  I know that I'll get all the work done and the project will be successful as always.  I know that the leaves will fall and it will be beautiful outside and I can wear my cute sweaters and tall boots.  And even my migraines will come and go.

I'm just ready for the airport officials to wave me in for a landing with their flashlight things that look like light sabers. And for the seat belt sign to go off.

No comments:

Post a Comment