Monday, September 17, 2012

How dancing puppets made my tahini explode

I went to Chicago on Friday and stayed overnight with a friend.  She lives in Andersonville and we were walking around after dinner and I got the very exciting treat of checking out the Puppet Bike. 

If you are curious about the Puppet Bike as you must be, CLICK HERE for heaven's sake!

We walked around after dinner and I bought some tahini.  I couldn't find any tahini last time I went grocery shopping and was very excited to find it in this little shop.  I bought a jar and we walked further on, passing a man who was having a bit of a rant and asking for money from passers by.  Another block further and we found the Puppet Bike was in the middle of a performance.  It was like the coolest thing I've ever seen.  Dancing puppets.  To really good music.  Inside a box on a bike that no one ever seems to see anyone coming or going into or out of.  I couldn't stop giggling.  I wanted those puppets to hang out with us for the rest of the night!

After the show was over  I, giddy and gleeful, turned abruptly and my tahini broke right through the plastic bag and smashed on the sidewalk.  "No!" I exclaimed loudly. "I knew that would happen!" I felt the energy of my excitement all the way to the ends of my fingers and I believe I knew that my tahini would become the victim of this in the end.  I tried to pick it up and throw it in a nearby garbage but it turned out to be a recycling bin.  Then I realized to my horror that the tahini was pouring out in a steady and disgusting looking stream out of the bag. I shrieked and held it up higher at which point, the man we'd passed earlier, asking for money stopped and asked me quite seriously if I was okay.  You draw your own conclusions there.

I finally got it in the garbage and washed my hands and a local dessert-ery where we ended our lovely and exciting evening with cake and ice cream and hot chocolate and coffee. 

I slept well on my friend Steph's couch with visions of small monkeys and cats and lions dancing in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment