Sunday, November 20, 2011

Guessing game

It's not that my children are predictable, exactly...  But they, especially Coen, often ask me for things...  And I can often tell by Coen's facial expression or tone, what he's going to ask for.

Yesterday, we were returning home from Grandpa and Nana's house where Coen and Lucy spent the night.  They had spent the morning dancing to the songs from Sgt. Pepper, wearing safety goggles and "working".  By working, I mean Coen was hammering nails into a wooden board and Lucy was hammering nails into a block of Styrofoam.  They LOVE this activity. We walked into the house after driving back and Coen doubled back from the living room and looked at me with his big eyes. 

"Mama? I have a question."

I knew exactly what it was.

"I know what it is!" I said.

"Oh, I hope you say yes, I hope I hope."

"I have an idea." I said. "I'm going to write down what I think your question is and then you ask it.  Then I'll show you my paper and see if I'm right!"

"What happens if you're right?" Coen asked.

"Then I'll feel smart." I said.

"And you'll say yes?"  Coen said, tilting his head and batting his eyes. This kid knows how to work me.  But if the question was what I thought it was going to be, I was planning on saying yes anyway.

So Coen said, "Can Lucy and me please have a piece of our Halloween candy?"

I showed him the paper.



Coen looked at me, mouth agape.  "What?! How did you know!"

"Yes." I said. You can have a piece of candy."

"Yay!!!!" He said, running away and telling his sister. 

She had "Whipper Whoppers" (Whoppers) and he had a Tootsie Roll Pop.

One of these nights I'm going to have to secretly deplete that supply!

No comments:

Post a Comment